Connect with us

Linjust – Entertainment News, Latest News, Comedy and Music

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala under probe for €3.6m vehicles deal

NEWS

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala under probe for €3.6m vehicles deal


Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala under probe for €3.6m vehicles deal

EFCC to quiz ex-Service Chiefs in new phase of arms cash investigation

According to the Nations Report, Another round of investigations into the $2.1billion arms deals is to begin tomorrow, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) sources said yesterday.

Top on the agenda is how the Dr. Goodluck Jonathan Administration bought €3,654,121million vehicles for the Republic of Niger in October 2013 and April 2014.

The cash was withdrawn from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) account in two installments of €1, 401,869 and €2,252,252.25,

The commission is also seeking to verify whether or not the vehicles were bought and under diplomatic or bilateral security cooperation.

The EFCC is to find out from the Republic of Niger if there was such assistance from Nigeria.

The agency plans to quiz some more public figures, including former Minister of Finance Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, some former Service Chiefs and serving military officers in connection with the $2.1billion arms deals.

Some suspects may be taken into custody, it was learnt.

The EFCC,it was gathered, is through with the first phase of the probe, which led to the arraignment of ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki and 10 others.

The interrogation of the likes of Dasuki and the others now facing trial or about to be arraigned seems to have convinced the agency of the need to dig deeper than originally planned.

A top source said: “We are beginning the second phase of the ongoing investigation of the $2.1b arms deals on Monday. From the preliminary findings, the scandal is mind-boggling.

“We are going to question more high-profile serving and former public officers, including a former Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on the release of some funds.

“We want the ex-Minister to shed more light on how about $322million was disbursed to the Office of the National Security Adviser(ONSA).

“Some serving and former military chiefs will have to respond to issues which we have already isolated for clarification.”

The source said investigators had already obtained the list of military equipment which were bought and the inventory by the Armed Forces.

“This explains why some serving and former military chiefs will need to come and assist our investigators,”he said.

“Some of the companies which supplied these equipment have been contacted too.”

On the purchase of security vehicles for Niger Republic,the EFCC is said to have established that the money was withdrawn from the ONSA account in two installments of €1, 401,869 and €2,252,252.25,

The commission is keen to confirm whether or not the vehicles were bought and under what diplomatic or bilateral security cooperation.

It was gathered that it will require finding out from the Republic of Niger if there was such assistance from Nigeria.

The initial cash of €1, 401,869 was drawn from the Central Bank in an October 2013 through ONSA memo ACCT/87/VOL.1/384.

The second tranche of €2,252,252.25 was got from the CBN in an April 1, 2014 via a memo ACCT/87/VOL.1/60

The first memo to the CBN Governor, “Transfer of foreign exchange”, said: “You are please requested to transfer the sum of €1, 401,869.00 only in favour of SEI Societe d’equipments Internanaux-Niamey-Niger BP 11737 as payment for the supply of security vehicles to Republic of Niger. The wire transfer details are as follows: Banque: SONIBANK (Republique du Niger-Niamey). Compete N025111123981/22. Code Banque:80064. Code Guichrt: 01001.

“The amount should be charged to National Security Adviser Account no. 0020172241019 with the Central Bank of Nigeris Abuja and all charges thereto.

“Please accept the assurances of the National Security Adviser.”

Magu, earlier in the day told the House of Representatives Committee on Financial Crimes that Okonjo-Iweala, former Minister of Petroleum Resources Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke and one of her associates, Mr, Kola Aluko, are being investigated.

He also told the committee, why defending the EFCC’s 2016 Budget, that the agency should be supported to hire additional 750 employees in different cadres.

Magu also sought the backing of the committee to consider and approve “additional N500,000 million to assist in our operational activities as more sectors of the economy may likely come under investigative activities during the year.”

Magu said the agency’s estimate is made up ofN11, 422, 991, 540.00 for capital, and N2,999,245,761.00 as the overhead component of the recurrent. He requested that “the National Assembly should graciously support a planned recruitment of additional 750 employees of different cadres in 2016.”

A second memo said: “You are please requested to transfer the sum of €2, 252, 252.25 only in favour of SEI Societe d’equipments Internanaux-Niamey-Niger BP 11737 as payment for the supply of security vehicles to Republic of Niger. The wire transfer details are as follows: Banque: SONIBANK (Republique du Niger-Niamey). Compete N025111123981/22. Code Banque: 80064. Code Guichrt: 01001.

“The amount should be charged to National Security Adviser Account no. 0020172241019 with the Central Bank of Nigeria,Abuja and all charges thereto.

“Please accept the assurances of the National Security Adviser.”

The EFCC has intensified its collaboration with the National Crime Agency in the United Kingdom, with the ongoing probe of former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.

The International Corruption Unit (ICU) of NCA on October 2 arrested Mrs. Alison-Madueke and four others.

The identities of the remaining four suspects are yet to be unveiled.

But all the suspects are being investigated for alleged bribery and money laundering.

The EFCC source, who is actively involved in the ongoing investigation, said: “We have been collaborating with NCA on Diezani’s case, which has reached an appreciable level.

“We have the details of others arrested with Diezani but we will not disclose until the matter gets to a convenient bend.

“So far, we have been comparing notes with NCA on a faster note in terms of tracking a few transactions and documents. There is no hiding place for the ex-Minister and her alleged accomplices.

“By the time the trial begins, the NCA and EFCC would have established a solid case against the ex-Minister and other suspects.”

 

Want Latest Controversial News? Download the Linjust app for Android Phones.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2
Leave a Reply

avatar
2 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Possible Wilsonhamza Recent comment authors
newest oldest most voted
hamza
Guest
hamza

That is nigeria for us oo

Possible Wilson
Guest
Possible Wilson

Mehn that amount is just too much, may God help us in this country…

More in NEWS

To Top