Legendary King Sunny Ade is identified with his full name as Sunday Adeniyi Adegeye was born on the 22nd of September, 1946 is a Nigerian musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and a pioneer of modern world music.
Here are 7 untold secrets about King Sunny Ade.
- King Sunny Ade was born into a royal family. His father was a church minister and organist, while his mother was a trader.
- He left his home in Ondo for Lagos to pursue his chosen career under the guise of attending the University of Lagos.
- King Sunny Ade career began with Moses Olaiya’s Federal Rhythm Dandies, a highlife band. He left to form a new band, The Green Spots, in 1967. Over the years, for various reasons ranging from changes in his music to business concerns, Sunny Adé’s band changed its name several times, first to African Beats and then to Golden Mercury.
- His first experience as an entertainer was with Baba Sala‘s Federal Rhythm Dandies.s Island Records signed KSA in the early 80s following the death of Bob Marley. KSA released 3 albums (Juju Music-82, Synchro System-83 and Aura-84) under Island Records.
- He is the first Nigerian musician, and African to be nominated for Grammy Awards twice.
- New York Times described King Sunny Ade as one of the world’s great band leaders in Record as a breath of fresh air, a positive vibration we will feel for some time to come and in Trouser Press as one of the most captivating and important musical artists anywhere in the world.
- Sunny Adé runs multiple companies in several industries, creating a non-profit organisation called the King Sunny Adé Foundation, and working with the Musical Copyright Society of Nigeria.
There you have the 7 untold secrets which you never knew about King Sunny Ade.
Do well to let us know what you think about this legendary singer and song writer in the person of King Sunny Ade in our comment section below.