Fela Anikulapo Kuti was born by the name Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti on 15 October 1938 and died on 3 August 1997 due to kaposi’s sarcoma.
The Afrobeat singer has shown the way for the current Afrobeat singers nowadays. Below, are 7 untold secrets which you did not know about Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
1. Fela Anikulapo Kuti was born by the name Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti on 15 October 1938 and pasted away on 3rd August 1997 due to kaposi’s sarcoma. He stated that “Ransome” was his slave name and his middle name, Anikulapo means “He who carries death in his pouch”.
2. His father, Reverend Israel Oludotun Ransome-Kuti was the first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers and was an Anglican minister. His mother, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti was a feminist activist.
3. He studied music at the Trinity College of Music in London. He is the cousin to Wole Soyinka, a Nigerian writer and a member of the Nobel laureate.
4. He married his first wife, Remilekun Taylor in 1960 and they were blessed with 3 beautiful children. Later on, to mark the anniversary of the attack on the Kalakuta Republic, Fela married 27 women in 1978.
5. He formed the band “Koola Lobitos” which played highlife and jazz music. He also trained as a radio producer for the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation.
6. He established a commune called “Kalakuta Republic” which became a home and record studio for the members of the band. He later on set up a nightclub called “The Afrika Shrine” where he performed regularly.
7. He released his smash hit album “Zombie” in 1977 featuring Afrika ’70. The album infuriated the government and caused for more attacks on the Kalakuta Republic.
The Legendary singer has a lot of history behind him even as he has passed on. However, his son has been following in his footsteps.
Let us know what you think of this Legendary Afrobeat singer in the comment section below.