18-month-old boy dies after his mom served him kerosene instead of water in Benin
The incident happened, last Tuesday, at about 10am, at Iguma Street, Off Medical Stores Road, Benin, Edo State. Isreal Buhari had complained to his mother, a hired kerosene seller, that he was thirsty.
The mom then mistakenly gave him kerosene stored in a beverage can, to drink. The child, the only boy of four children, was said to have, on first gulp, immediately spat out the remaining content in his mouth, before his mother realized her error.
His mother,Mrs Ata Buhari, said with the help of neighbors, some volume of palm oil was immediately given to Isreal, before he was rushed to a hospital, where he died few hours later.
Narrating how she ‘mistakenly’ served her only son kerosene instead of water, Mrs Buhari, from Kogi State, stated that one of her children had filled an empty can of beverage with water, which they took to the stop that fateful morning.
She added that a similar container of beverage inside which she stored kerosene, was kept in her shop and when her child complained of thirstiness, she ‘mistakenly’ picked the one filled with kerosene.